Sunday, June 03, 2007

What a day-- As many of you know, today was the day for Josh to go back to work( as we call it). His vacation was over. It was a wonderful two weeks and thankfully they didn't fly by. We drove him to Dallas this morning. He had to check in a noon and report to the gate at 1430. The USO is wonderful there and they even have a reading room so soldiers can pick out book, record themselves reading it and the USO sends the recording and the book to the child. SO sweet. Josh actually let the kids pick the books out and go in with him while he is reading the book.
I must say that this time was harder. I am not sure why. Is it because I know what to expect now. I know how much the kids and I miss him daily and how much he misses us. Or is it the fact that we don't really know when he will be home. It was supposed to be November now they are saying February or March. That is 8 months. In my head today I have been singing this "He's leaving on a jet plane, I don't know when he be back again" So true. He will come home when his mission is accomplished( ok that sounds like a true Army wife)
The worst part of the day was seeing him say goodbye to the kids. Jessica is still young enough not to get it( thank goodness) Johnathan gets it. He cried and cried and cried. Poor Josh having to leave hearing him. And poor people around us. He was so upset he had bystanders in tears. Including me. I told myself that I can't get upset. I have two children looking to me to hold it together. If I am OK with this it is easier for them. Well how can any mother be OK with their son screaming for their daddy?
Thankfully the sweet ladies from the USO were there to help me with Jessica, pat me on the back while I held Johnathan. I am not one to show emotion so it was easier with the stranger. They walked us down to the USO room and got us some juice and snacks. The kids played for awhile in the kids room. One lady just hung out with us and then took the time to walk us to the van.



Hanging out with Dad while he is in line to check in
Jessica wanted to bring Baby Sadie along to tell Daddy bye
Eating at the airport



Picture taken by Johnathan
One more hug for Daddy


Another picture taken by Johnathan. I thought I would end the post with this picture and our night time prayer that the kids say
"Dear God thank you for this day and please keep my Daddy safe. Amen"



6 comments:

The Wolfe Family said...

Hey Laura,

Yes, I'm teary eyed right now, I was thinking of you all day wondering how you and the kids and Josh were doing. I know you must be so emotionally worn out from sending Josh off, yet, again. We'll continue to pray for him and you guys!!! I remember the first send off was pretty hard on Johnathan so I hope and pray that the next few days and weeks go smoothly for you all!!!! May God's blessings pour down on you all!!!

Mommynurse said...

Just know that all of you are in our prayers! We pray that he will be home before you know it!

Aunt Joan said...

Folks here had a good cry reading your thoughts, Laura. Please know that you and Josh and the children are in the prayers of hundreds of people. God will continue to watch over you all.

Jessica said...

My heart aches for you. I'm so sorry I was consumed with Will's night that I didn't call to check on you. You are so strong and give me such inspiration. I love you and will continue to pray for peace and comfort. Love, Jess

Beth said...

Laura,

I love you and I am praying for each of you every day. I love reading your blog and I was so excited to hear that Josh was home and that you guys were having so much fun. I can only imagine how hard it is to deal with everything both for you and for Josh. I only wish that I was closer so that I could help you out sometimes like you used to help me when my crew was little. The Beasleys love you and miss you!!

The Manternachs said...

Laura,

Wow - that was really tough to read so I can't imagine what it must be like for you. I'm glad Kimberly tipped me off to your blog. We'll keep Josh, you and the kids in our prayers. - Jami