Thursday, May 28, 2009

UPDATE on Baby Berry



Josh and I just wanted to update the blog world on Baby Berry. On Tuesday we found out that my Quad screen came back abnormal. It showed an increased risk for Trisomy 18 (Edward's Syndrome). The Genetic counselor wanted us to come in this week for a Level II ultrasound. She attempted to reassure me that with this abnormality there is only a 10% chance that the baby actually have Trisomy 18.

So today Josh and I headed to Darnell for the ultrasound. It was great to see the baby and the tech spent a lot of time showing us legs, arms, heart, face, feet, and hands. Then the Dr came in. The Doctor looked at all the pictures the tech took and then we went to her office and talked about the Quad screen results, ultrasound results, and our options. The doctor did see one thing positive from the ultrasound. The Baby's hand was open and not clinched. Baby's with Trisomy 18 tend to have tight muscles and so clinched hands. I really need to know what to expect, to prepare us and the kids. An amniocentesis will give us the answers we did. I chose to have an amniocentesis to find out for sure if this sweet baby has Trisomy 18. The amnio was not as bad as I was expecting and now I am to hang out of the couch for the rest of the day. The official results will take up to 2 weeks but the Dr order a certain test that will give us preliminary results in 5 days. So now we wait and pray try not to worry to much.

We do ask if you all will pray with us. Josh and I know that this sweet baby was hand made by God just for us. We know he is wonderfully made (Psalms 139-13-16).

We're not telling the kids about this unless we have to, but we did tell them some good news from today.




20 comments:

Jessica said...

HAHA! LOVE Jess's reaction. Too funny. Soooo excited about the baby boy:):):) I'll be praying...

mimi said...

Hey Jessica--at least you will still be the only Princess!!!! A baby brother is an awesome thing-what a big thing it is for the tow of you!!! To your baby brother you both will be his hero!!!

Yes, our prayers will be ongoing--love you all.

Christy said...

You know I love those boys! Congrats!!! I sure will be praying for sweet baby!!!!

Mommynurse said...

Yay! It's a boy! I'll be praying fervently. Please keep us updated.

Tiffany said...

We will be praying, Laura! Definitely. Congrats on another boy. =)

Jackson Family said...

Jess's reaction cracked me up! I even made Chris come upstairs and watch it! She was for certain that she was having a sister!! I cannot wait to talk to her about it tomorrow!

Cathy said...

Congratulations on your Baby Boy. I am the mother of Annabel, a little girl who has lived 4 wonderful years with full Trisomy 18. God fills these Angels with the most amazing joy. Trisomy 18 is not a good diagnosis but don't let anyone take away your hope if that is what is to be. Your family will continue to be in our prayers and I will check back to see your results. You have such beautiful children.

The Morgans said...

That did make me LOL! Did Jess ever come around? We are praying for you and yor sweet baby boy!

Anonymous said...

Ah, Jessica! Mimi's right, now you don't have to share your princess crown. I love her trying to smile in the picture with the hat, even though she's not too hapy. Emily was the only who cried when we found out we were having a boy. She's such a great big sister now and loves him, as will Jessica. We will continue praying for your new baby.

The Wolfe Family said...

Hahaha....she will be a great big sister even to a boy!! That is too funny:) I'm praying for you guys and for sweet baby "E"!!

Candi said...

Congrats on the news of a boy! Owen must have had some influence! :)

Prayers to you and yours...

Wendi said...

That video needs to be sent to Funniest home videos! Kris and I were cracking up!! We will be praying for that baby boy and his mommy and daddy!!

mimi said...

I have watched this video over and over and thank goodness Jessica makes it light--I know she hasn't a clue but she makes it awesome. Poor Johnathan she seems to think it is his fault you are having a boy!!! Priceless video.
Love you guys more than you will ever know....

Julie said...

We are praying for you guys. That video was too cute!

Amy Beard said...

Laura you are in my thoughts and prayers. I enjoy reading your blog and following along in your "life after nursing school"! That vidoe cracked me up. You should send it to AFV!

Aunt Joan said...

Ah Jessica! What a riot! It appears to be Johnathan's fault that new baby is going to be a boy???

Know that you are all in my thoughts and prayers as you wait for the results.

Kerry said...

Too cute...prayers for you and a healthy baby boy as you wait for the results.

Rachael said...

OMG, I am still laughing at that video! she is too cute!
prayers for a healthy baby boy, keep us posted :)
xoxo

Kimberly said...

That video is priceless! I am sure she will love being the only girl! We will be praying for y'all and your baby boy.

JP said...

I'm just now getting to catch up on your blog. What a great video! I had to laugh out loud. Glad to hear the genetics screenings seem to all be normal! Many prayers are being prayed for your SON's continued healthy development! -- Emily